Reef, Rainforest, Highlands & Outback.
A Diverse Region.
to Translate- (Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean,
THINGS TO DO ON THE ATHERTON TABLELANDS.
- A beautiful, scenic and unspoilt, undulating tableland between 500 and 1000 metres above
the "The Great Barrier Reef" perfect for self
- See our Self Drive Itineraries for the Northern,
Central & Southern
Sections of The Atherton Tablelands, allow a full day in each
- Ancient Rainforest,
Volcanic lakes , Waterfall Circuit (including Millaa
Millaa Falls), Mareeba
National Parks, "World
Heritage Listed - Wet Tropics" and
Mabi Rainforest areas and an abundance and diversity of flora
and fauna. (including Lumholtz tree kangaroos, possums, platypus,
echidna, brolga, cassowaries, rock wallabies,
wallabies, pademelon, kangaroo, bandicoot, quolls, bird
life, etc- guided night spotting tours can be arranged.)
- Adventure Activities include: Hot Air Ballooning, Free
Flying, Horse Riding, Barramundi
fishing, Bungy Jumping, Pioneer walking trails with Donkeys, Go-Kart Racing
and Adventure helicopter experiences.
- Jose Paronella's dream continues at Paronella
Park, "...The surprise of your Travels".
A great place to spend half a day, is
"Platypus Bend", especially if
you like walking without the tourist "masses".
- Be assured of a "catch" at the Tablelands best fishing park,
or just feed and watch.
- Visit working Coffee & Tea Plantations, Wineries,
Gourmet Dairy food tasting, cheese & chocolate dairies and other agricultural pursuits.
Drive the Tropical
Food Trails or let Atherton Blue Gum do the driving for
- The Mareeba Wetlands, a bird watchers haven &
conservation success story. Circum-navigate the lake with the
Rangers expert commentary and view the beautiful Gouldian
Finches - brought back from extinction.
- "Rainforestation Nature
Park" - Pamagirri Aboriginal Experience, Koala's and amphibious
army ducks, restaurants and gift shops.
- Historical towns of Yungaburra, Atherton, Herberton &
the regions heart from 1880 - 1920.
- Gemstone fossicking and Gold panning, off the normal tourist track.
- The Hou Wang Miau Chinese Temple, the last surviving structure of what was Cedar Camp,
the Atherton Chinatown, established in the mid 1880's.
- Historic Steam Train journeys, up the steepest grades in Queensland.
- Granite Gorge - feed the Rock Wallabies in their
natural habitat and get a feel for the very Australian
- Aviation and Military Museum as well as camp sites, recording the Atherton Tablelands
role in WWII.
- Lake Tinaroo and Tinaroo Dam, - Tours, Cruises and Water sports with boat and canoe hire, as well as the
peaceful Danbulla State Forest Drive around its foreshores.
- A Variety of bushwalking tracks, ranging from easy to
strenuous, rainforest to savannah, mountains to wetlands, and
circum-navigating volcanic lakes to volcanic craters.
- The Curtain and Cathedral Fig Trees, both over 500 year old Strangler Fig Trees. The Giant
Red Cedar Tree, once known as "Red Gold" and the Twin Kauri Pines at Lake Barrine are all
to the Atherton Tableland origins.
- Master a selection of Golf Courses, in beautiful fresh
mountain air, individually or as part of an organised Golf Tour.
- Cairns, Kuranda, Mission Beach and Port Douglas are all
accessible to and from Atherton, within an hours drive.
- Short drives to
Outback, (see our Swagman's
Trail) and/or Savannah areas, makes our establishment
central to the attractions of the entire region.
- Atherton Blue Gum can be used to break the trip from the Coast to
Undara Lava tubes and Cobbold Gorge, or Charter our 4WD vehicle to explore the Outback town of
and other remote areas.
- Use our Tour Desk to book these day trips, or any other.
The "Tablelands" has a beautiful temperate
climate, which makes it a January to December Destination. Avoid
the rush, and come in the "Low Season"
climate is comfortable, free of coastal humidity but still accessible
to those coastal areas. Alternatively, come in the "High Season"
(July-Nov), and feel the warmth of our
"Tropical" sun. A three minute drive, brings you to Hastie Swamp, a Two level
bird hide that views thousands of birds in their natural habitat,
or visit Crystal Caves in the Main Street of Atherton. Mt
Mulligan Escarpment (see picture), is a must
see. The region
also hosts a number of antique and arts & craft shops, as well
as art studio's & galleries.
Information on trips, places to see etc. is provided by your hosts
who are also locals.
The Atherton Tablelands can be divided into three parts, "The
Southern, Central and Northern sections", a day of exploring
is needed in each section. If you wish to
do some of those other things then allow more than 3 days.
From the Northern to Southern tips of the Atherton Tablelands,
you are looking at approximately a 1.5 hours drive directly, so
distances are not large, however the diversity and numerous attractions
and activities make this a travellers paradise !
How to Get To the Atherton Tablelands:
- Atherton Blue Gum Transfers
Car Rental Cairns - Brisbane Sydney Australia
Rental Port Douglas - Brisbane Gold Coast
- Gem Rent-A-Car
- A one Day bus tour from Cairns
- Public Bus service
- Atherton Car Rentals
Don't be like many others and say, "We should have allowed
more time", or, "we will have to come back to see it
all". The Atherton Tablelands is a destination in itself.
Allow 3 days and see it all, be enthralled by its beauty."
"See how unique, our Tours
can be ."
BOOKING DESK - We Book & Advise on the Following:
- Atherton Tablelands Accommodation & Packages
- Self Drive Itineraries
- Great Barrier Reef & Island Day Trips
- Mike Ball Dive Expeditions
- Daintree & Cape Tribulation Day Trips
- Cairns & Port Douglas Helicopter Trips
- Cairns Sea Plane Experiences
- Day and night guided jungle walks in the
Daintree and Cape Tribulation Rainforest
- Tours (4WD) over the famous
and to the Bloomfield River, Bloomfield Falls and historic
- 4WD Charters and Tours of the Atherton Tablelands
- Undara Lava Tubes & Cobbold
Gorge & Bedrock
Village Mt Surprise
- White water Rafting
- Hot Air Ballooning
- Tjapakai Aboriginal Culture Park
- Kuranda Skyrail and Train
- Outback Experiences - Undara Lava Tubes
- Outback Station Horse Trail Rides
- Free Flying & Sky Diving
- Special Interests eg Birdwatching, Fishing, Fossicking,
- Car & 4WD Rentals
- All other Activities and Accommodation in the Region
- Contact Here
© Atherton Blue Gum - 2007